Buying a home with hardwood floors provides a very popular surface. However, it’s not the same as taking care of carpet. You cannot just vacuum it and call it a day. Instead, you have to provide essential care for the hardwood floors in your home. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are trying to take care of hardwood floors.
Vacuum or Sweep
You will need to start by sweeping or vacuuming your floors. You can use a soft-bristled attachment or just a regular broom. Make sure you are thorough in the high-traffic areas. You don’t want to use a vacuum with a beater bar or a power rotary brush head. These may scratch up the floor.
Along with making sure the floor is swept properly and regularly, you will want to use a protective window covering to keep the floor from fading over time. Make sure you use a covering that blocs UV rays. This will also help to keep excessive heat out in the summer months.
Other tips to help prevent floor damage include:
- Rotate your rugs regularly to ensure the floor ages evenly
- Keep any pet’s nails trimmed to prevent scratching
- Use a humidifier in the summer months to help reduce any wood shrinkage
- Make sure all spills are wiped up immediately and use a floor cleaner with a cotton cloth
- If wax, chewing gum or any other gooey substance ends up on your floors, use ice to harden it before removing it.
- Use protective floor pads below any heavy furniture
- Don’t walk on your floors with heeled shoes or spiked shoes
- Avoid using oil soaps, paste wax or a wet-mop on the hardwood floors
- Don’t use steel wool pads or any harsh cleaners on your floors
Follow these tips and you will be able to enjoy your beautiful hardwood floors for man years.